PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EAST MIDLANDS - 6
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2012, 23:28
OltonPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scandinavia/flybe

flybe indicated that 175's were to be used but there apears to be further delays/deferments of deliveries per some fleet websites and this is probably why the Q400 is listed. The summer schedule seems to indicate that it is only a matter of time that Amsterdam will go double daily with either a new route filling the gap in between or one of the BHD, GLA or EDI rotaions changing to a EMA based aircraft.

Scandinavia

I think a reality check is need here, remember Sterling and the absolutely terrible figures produced and you could say that they were no Ryanair but BHX has hardly set the Midlands alight to this area of the world. Ryanair Torp awful figures on cheap fares, NYO was much better in terms of numbers but fares were soft and Copenhagen is still just double daily Monday to Friday with Stockholm about to start later this month.

No doubt FR would get the numbers to NYO or Rygge but profitable?

Asia

I believe there is a sizable Indian ex pat community but look at the number of Indian operators outside of London - nil. Even BHX has to rely one-stop operators despite despite ex-pat Sikh communities in areas of Birmingham, The Black Country, Coventry and Leamington Spa.

As for Pakistan I have little knowledge of how this compares to the ex pat communities of the North West, Yorkshire and Birmingham but with Air Blue and possibly Shaheen expanding Internationally I have seen few if any mention of East Mids as on their radar and this one could be a tough nut to crack.

What I would not rule out in the future is Turkish Airlines. This might sound daft with BHX & MAN services increasing and doing well but they are expanding agressively and although there is no evidence in the UK as yet (outside of London) of opening up services at nearby airports I think there is in Italy and Spain and maybe the same will happen here with Glasgow and EMA eventually (No doubt BRS and NCL will also be hoping eventually to get the nod as well). Another problem here is IST coping with the expansion and the dragging of feet about a new Istanbul airport (sounds familiar?)

Pete

Last edited by OltonPete; 5th Oct 2012 at 23:32. Reason: added text