PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2012, 20:25
Calmcavok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's interesting how jaded the comments on this thread are. When I looked at ab initio training around 9 years ago, the comments posted on PPRuNe were broadly similar then as are expressed now. However, there is no doubt that the world of training has changed massively since 2003-05. I have never paid for a type rating, I took the modular route, but strung it all together and saved a bit of cash. Got a job 3 months after completing the fATPL on a full contract, with proper T&Cs and a mere £35k of debt.

The training and recruitment environment has changed enormously. Only Lyndsey Craig of BA has any credibility on that video. The rest of the claptrap spoken makes me feel both very fortunate for my position and very sorry for all those about to be taken in by the glossy sell put upon them. Even by the likes of Max from Flybe and Martin of Emirates, who have some how managed to do the hard sell for CTC! Not a balanced view by two (independent) aviation professionals.

I hope that aviation in Europe will turn a corner if & when the economy picks up, but until that happens it's a sorry place to be and both Max's & Martin's assertions that now is the time to be in training is misrepresentation at best. It's not a good time for ab initio training, it's a rubbish time. Short of a miracle, in 12-18 months the situation at present will be extant if not worse. I can only hope that those who attended that CTC open day also went to the recent BALPA pilot recruitment fair to see the reality of hiring prospects at the moment.

In other words, what Guy said...

Edited to add a point of interest: my debt was about 110% of my first year's salary. What would be the current ratio for a typical CTC graduate?

Last edited by Calmcavok; 5th Oct 2012 at 20:30.