PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2012, 20:48
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DozyWannabe,
In a reply to Clandestino you stated:
the NTSB has a further-ranging remit when it comes to identifying cause than most other agencies. Usually, civil service investigation agencies such as the AAIB and BEA are restricted to determining cause from the immediate evidence, and their write-ups consequently tend to read more drily.
Perhaps you can explain what is meant in your quote as my interpretation would lead me not to agree. Here is the intro into how the NTSB does its investigations:
The Investigative Process at NTSB
The National Transportation Safety Board was established in 1967 to conduct independent investigations of all civil aviation accidents in the United States and major accidents in the other modes of transportation. It is not part of the Department of Transportation, nor organizationally affiliated with any of DOT's modal agencies, including the Federal Aviation Administration. The Safety Board has no regulatory or enforcement powers.

To ensure that Safety Board investigations focus only on improving transportation safety, the Board's analysis of factual information and its determination of probable cause cannot be entered as evidence in a court of law.
Is what I have bolded the difference you are identifying?
You can read the entire investigative process of the NTSB by going to this link:

Accident Investigations - NTSB - National Transportation Safety Board