PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 Ryanair aircraft declare fuel emergency at same time
Old 4th Oct 2012, 15:45
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to today's Irish Daily Mirror (page 14) Ryanair has recently reduced the amount of extra fuel its Captains can take without seeking approval. They could take 300 kg (on top of trip fuel + reserves etc) but that has been reduced to 100 kg. Seems surprising given that the IAA, in the wake of Valencia, recommended Ryanair revise its fuel policy. Hope this isn't what they mean.
They don't have to "seek approval" merely explain on the Voyage Report why they took extra fuel ie "1000 kgs extra due TS forecast at Madrid"

Certain Base Captains can be over zealous and I think this is where the

Pilots seem to have to explain if they land with more fuel than anticipated.
has come from. (Bear in mind that BCs also have to take the flak from their "masters")

In my opinion, any pressure comes from the fact that Ryanair pilots have no form of Union representation. As I have said before once you decide you don't like someone (maybe because they don't behave like robots) then you can make life difficult for them such as "Why did you land with 500 kg extra fuel?" Given the culture of fear within the Company this is why some may feel under pressure.

It is the industrial relations (or lack of it) that is impinging on flight safety rather than the nuts and bolts of how much fuel etc.

Of course we all know that, in law, only the Commander decides how much fuel he is going to depart with. I have been thinking about this aspect recently and would suggest that if any undue pressure is put on any individual Captain then the persons doing so may be committing an offence - I refer to Article 137:-

Endangering safety of an aircraft
137 A person must not recklessly or negligently act in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft, or any person in an aircraft.

I would suggest that placing Commanders under such pressure could be construed as "reckless".

What seems to be lacking is industry wide guidance what to do on the occasions when weather or other factors justify it. Some big airports which specify you must have 30 minutes extra are the exception. Say a requirement from the authorities to have a minimum extra with certain weather (CB/fog etc.) would be a good start and would create a more level playing field/hopefully increase safety.
lederhosen, with respect I suggest this is not the way to go - adding more "rules" as a knee jerk to one day at Madrid. Commanders must have the experience, training and good judgement to make sound decisions (if in doubt erring on the side of safety) without having to concern themselves with some half wit on the ground asking them to explain why they took a bit of extra gas!

Last edited by fireflybob; 13th Feb 2013 at 21:37.