PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toxic fumes incapacitate Germanwings crew
Old 4th Oct 2012, 12:15
noske

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The BFU report says that maintenance actions carried out after the incident include:
  • cockpit instrument ventilation fans were replaced, however no contamination was found
  • no. 1 engine: air intake area was examined, without any findings, engine core washed
  • flight crew oxygen masks replaced
  • engine ground run in accordance with maintenance manual, no smell on board observed
I admit that item #2 kind of answers my previous question: Apparently there is a scenario where contaminated air from the engines can affect the cockpit only (and if so, then egine no. 1 is at fault).

What I don't get is how Mr. Handwerg of the Cockpit association can be so sure that fumes from engine oil and not deicing fluid are to blame. He points out the low blood oxygen levels, but IMO that just proves that both crew were poisoned by something. And even regarding the creatine kinase values, Der Spiegel has to admit that the experts that they asked (physicians at the university hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf and this "society for clinical chemistry and laboratory medicine") cannot conclude anything specific from it.

Originally Posted by Gestapo
Oil was the factor. And cockpit's 'demands' have been respectfully accepted.
There is an interim order to fit 6 sensors(initially), through the length of its small bus fleet initially, followed by the blue whale.
Don't know if that will help matters but it is a start.
Sensors capable of detecting TCP? I hadn't heard of that before, but if that's an actual option, it sounds like a good idea.