PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thats some achievement!
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2012, 12:08
san2dee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats some achievement!

I have had the privelege of working with this gentleman!

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Business

Aviation Notes
Impeccable record of 20,000 flying hours
by KR Wadhwaney

Ronald Banerjee, a Lucknow boy, became a helicopter pilot of an exceptional skill and tenacity with his own efforts and talent. He flew both civil and Air Force aircraft with distinction. He achieved a record of 20,000 flying hours in helicopter flying - a record unlikely to be broken in near future.

Banerjee flew all types of aircraft -single and twin-engine, in all kinds of weather, particularly in eastern hilly areas, for 48 years in the Indian Air Force and ARC (Air Force Research Centre) before bidding adieu to flying recently.

When asked in ARC that he was fit enough to continue flying, he said: "Enough is enough". "I have enjoyed every moment of my flying, including bewitching and exciting experiences on compassionate duties and in the company of VVIPs, from July 17, 1963, to August 12, 2011,” said highly satisfied Banerjee.

“I had some hilarious moments in the cockpit with VVIPs on board the aircraft,” he said while on a short visit to Delhi from Saharanpur.

It was a mere luck that Banerjee became a pilot. After the 1962 Chinese aggression, the government felt that Indian 'jawans' should possess 'military discipline'. He was among the chosen students to do 60 hours of 'powered flying' in various clubs.

He chose Lucknow’s Hind Flying Club, which was owned by Raja Bhadari and its chief pilot was Capt PP Tikku.

In March 1965, Banerjee was enrolled as a cadet in the Indian Air Force at Coimbatore for ground training. He underwent flying and other required training at different centres on varying aircraft. He had night training at Jodhpur before becoming a pilot officer on December 31, 1967.

Banerjee has some unforgettable memories when he flew VVIPs like President Giani Zail Singh and Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on official assignments in Air Force helicopters. When an aircraft commanded by HS Sekhon was over Kamakhya Temple, the then President Giani Zail Singh sent an envelope with Rs 100 to be dropped at the temple.

The commander had passed the envelope to co-pilot Banerjee.

In MI-8 helicopters, two pilots sit on either side while a flight engineer occupies the centre seat. As the envelope got deposited at the right spot, Banerjee, in excitement, slapped the thigh of the President, who was occupying the seat of the flight engineer.

When he came to know that it was President, he felt embarrassed at his action, but the President took the 'accidental incident' philosophically. He had several such incidents during his 48-year flying career.