PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane missing en route YCAB?
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2012, 10:14
bogdantheturnipboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally agree with Jabawocky.

If not now, when is the right time to discuss these issues?

None of us know exactly what happened and whether there where other mitigating circumstances that contributed to this accident, however, commonsense tells us that the weather was one of the most significant factors.

I feel sad that Des and his passengers have died, but I also feel like it is THE PERFECT time to discuss flying in IMC without an instrument rating. And transiting from VFR to IMC.

It is not disrespectful to have this sort of discussion. This is being responsible.
These issues need to be discussed, because, aviators by accident or deliberately find themselves in these situations.

Many commercial and private pilots fly in IMC on a regular basis when they should only be VFR and the more they do it, they think they can get away with it. (I am no saying Des was like this, as I have no idea). But I do know many pilots like this.

The fact is: the weather around the Sunshine Coast hinterland was NOT suitable for VFR flight that day.

If you are VFR and the forecast indicates it is clearly not suitable, it is pretty simple to me - don't depart. It is not always that straight forward of course. But that day, how anyone thought they were going to get over the ranges VFR was not living in reality.