PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JHAS Keeps 457's over Local workers in new Redundancy round
Old 4th Oct 2012, 09:14
Romulus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fedsec
JHAS are not meeting training obligations to overcome the shortfalls in labour that create the need for 457 holders in the first place. No apprentices and bugger all training. They are destroying our industry and really, it would be better off for safety outcomes and the industry in general if they just left town.
SP, I know you're a bit frustrated but really?

Outside QF and Virgin Tech they're about the biggest employer going. They're financially safe as part of the Leighton group, they're keeping a facility going in Melbourne after QF have largely left, there are a whole bunch of people there who earn a living.

Yes they're trying to do things differently, I don't know exactly how but as an MRO they have to. They have to become more productive than the in house alternative in order to survive. It's a harsh reality that the world has moved on and the ideal Australian model is just too costly compared to the way others do things.

That's the challenge for you and your members, and it's a tough one, I'm not arguing it isn't. But unless you and your guys adapt then either JHAS or some other MRO is going to nip at your heels until someone at QF bites the bullet and outsources vast swathes of work to that MRO. That sort of powerful decision making takes guts, and given QF grounded themselves tough decisions with massive impacts have been made, no matter whether you think those decisions right or wrong.

As soon as someone provides a genuine alternative, and I agree JHAS doesn't have the right model at present, then it just takes one of the new CEOs to make it happen and the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.