PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwind landings/Take-Offs
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2012, 00:51
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tommoutrie

There is nothing wrong in asking questions to generate discussion or in fact pose controversial answers to get others thinking and responding.

Aviation is one of the slowest moving occupations yet the fastest travelling occupation! slowest in the sense that it has always been done that way so should always continue that way regardless of any sense.

There are some crazy responses mine included but we usually come to a sensible conclusion in these discussions.

Think how boring life would be and these forums without a bit of color and controversy???
One of my favorite sayings " If you do not push the boundaries you will never find what lies beyond" Holds true for forum discussions as well as any other of mankinds endeavors.

His Dudeness

On the topic, sometimes one can come quite close to the tire limits, even more so with a tailwind. I remember flying the C650 were you could come as close as (IIRC) 5 kts to max tire speed with a certain emergency (was that the stuck stabilizer?). Land on a TW runway and you might have a real problem
Was it not 24/7s Citation 550 which landed at Edinburgh with control problems at over 200 kts (radar estimated TDS) and 40 kts over the tire limits?

Would anyone land at St Moritz with a tailwind considering the airport altitude and landing TAS?

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 4th Oct 2012 at 01:07.