PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Porter Airlines Incident in YQG
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2012, 00:10
Jetgate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a Q400 driver.....

You don't fly this aircraft at V2 or anywhere near it if both engines are operating!

I will now on be referring to NORMAL 2 engine operations of the Q400 -

It is operated in pitch until the Acceleration Altitude (AA).

If you went V2 or near V2 up to the AA on two engines with moderate loads in busy Terminal areas in the Northern Hemisphere you will scare everybody including your self.........

(The AA can be varied, manufacturer recommends 400'' but up to 1200'' is approved if memory serves me?. I know of one company that uses 800'' but majority fly pitch to 1000'' as it keeps everything in manageble proportions. Also if we do have to deviate and talk about single engine then neither is it operated on the prescribed Turboprop climb profile of 5 (FIVE) segments. It is flown like a Jet on a 4 segment profile.)

Now, these are my employers SOP's devised after many years of operating this machine. Close to the manufacturers AOM on most but refined to suit our needs. This perticular manufacturers advice sometimes beggars belief.....so we try and put some common sense in to it.

From what I've heard this perticular incident was influenced by a bunch of our featherd friends.....

Last edited by Jetgate; 4th Oct 2012 at 00:15.