PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane missing en route YCAB?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 23:58
flying-spike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is so sad

The following is the sort of stuff that underlines my point about the "armchair quarterbacks" that give truth about it being better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool. It is an attempt to attract credibility when the search is on for truth. Out of respect for those that have been affected by this terrible accident I left my reply to this post until those on this forum who know the victims personally have had a chance to say their goodbyes :
"That appears to have been precisely his problem, and it looks like I was pretty close to spot-on with my projected scenario, that I posted in post #56, about 4 hrs before the wreckage was spotted.
All the indications are that the impact point is in terrain sloping at around 35°-40°, and that the Dragon was doing a high RoC at substantial speed. The terrain is so steep, the SAR choppers couldn't land at the actual crash site."

All this was gleaned from a photo. It appears I wasted my time being trained as an accident investigator when all I had to do is look at a photo. "a high RoC", really? Did these poor people meet their terrible fate when the aircraft hit the terrain from below? High angle of attack and high rate of descent I can believe.
I won't go into what I take out of that photo but I repeat, let the searchers search and let the investigators investigate. Further, let the families and friends of these people grieve and the rest resist hypothesizing lest the ill informed comments find their way to a coronial investigation.
I agree with the comments about an emphasis in training on inadvertent VFR into IMC. Even better, improve the met reporting and bring back more proactive operational oversight of VFR from flight planning to flight following and SAR watch.