PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple stuff - Mac, iPad, iphone
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 15:45
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but it will severely affect resale value in future.
Are you serious ?

You do not buy commodity, mass-produced pieces of technology with the resale value in mind. They depreciate like nothing else, the rate of depreciation rising even more rapidly with each new product release or EOL announcement.

Seriously, there's lots of business kit out there priced at many tens of thousands, but will be worthless 3-5 years down the line.

Exceptions to the rule are very rare, the only one I've found so far are high-end DSLRs hold their value relatively well... I got £800 for a Nikon D700 I sold off recently. But of course the Nikon lenses hold their value much, much better than the readily disposable bodies. The other exception I know of is rare early Apple machines,some of the original ones, if they are in working order of course.

(N.B. The D700 was sold prior to the public announcement of the D600, and so the D700 was still attractive for those who couldn't justify a D800 (which was never intended as a D700 replacement anyway, the D600 is, but I digress !) I suspect the D700 would not fetch as much now.)

Last edited by mixture; 3rd Oct 2012 at 15:49.