PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military experience worthless?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 15:25
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that ex-mil guys have not always handled themselves well in the airline industry, but overall they have been a massive asset. (I am ex-mil by the way). There will always be the numpties who get people's backs up, and the military would tolerate strong characters who are miserable to work with in a way that would not be accepted outside. I agree with others that the days when being an ex-mil pilot in the UK counts for much are long gone, and I find the US system of ex-mil pilots being valued quite inspiring. Nonetheless, it is what it is and we need to face reality. The big change has been that companies like easyJet no longer take ex-mil pilots, which has had a massive effect on the market. And it is not just easyJet either who have changed their tune. I came across another guy recently who was an ex-VC10 Captain with over 3000 hours. He applied to Cathay and was told that due to his 'inexperience' he would have to go to Australia and redo his instrument rating, basic flying etc on some light twin for several months before going onto a real aircraft. That is simply crazy and shows the way the world has changed. In the past he would have been ushered into the Company with a red carpet in front of him - now he is getting the bum's rush. In simple terms, times have changed and there is really no obvious way into the big players in the airline industry without paying for a rating. Companies like Monarch, Virgin, BA, Emirates still take ex-mil in principle, but in practice take ex-easyJet (and others) pilots who are A320 type-rated and have enormous experience of commercial operations around Europe. Is that unfair? Possibly, but it is what it is. Are ex-mil guys entitled to more assistance than everyone else in getting a job? Probably not, but that is not easy to accept if you have been doing your bit for years on behalf of your country. I wish them well, but struggle to see any credible argument that puts them to the head of the queue.

By the way, HumaidDaPlane, please reassure me and tell me that English is not your first language.