PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Motorgliding - BGA or CAA directly controlled maintenance and instructors?
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 14:23
soaringsilently

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorgliding - BGA or CAA directly controlled maintenance and instructors?

Sorry to post the list of questions here, but I am guessing someone will know the answers.

I want to get my PPL ( a proper PPL not a NPPL) using a TMG, that I then convert to a JAR PPL ( or EASA PPL as it will be) I have been around several (three to date) motorglider clubs and have been told at one club I approcahed that both the instructors and the maintenance is controlled by the BGA. They use Slingsby T61 Ventures) I have read on here that the instructors have to hold a CPL, yet these guys don't .(they are paid by the club - but they say its for "clerical duties"), they tell me they have PPL's and fly on a concession to allow them to instruct with a BGA, rather than a CAA instructors rating. Will this change with the new EASA regulations? I also saw these instructors teaching a doing trial lessons in a Warrior- does their BGA instructors rating allow them to do this?? Nice big airfield though which is always a bonus I think.

Will the standard of instructing be the same as going to a flying club that uses commercially licensed pilots with CAA instructors ratings?

Another point which was raised by a friend of mine (who is a pilot employed commercially) was that the engines are maintained on an "on condition" basis rather than to a set life - is this correct? Why can the motor glider club do this when the flying school I had approached told me that part of their seemingly higher cost is due to them having a set number of hours/years life for the engine? Just waiting around and chatting at this club I was told of several engine failures and plugs blowing out etc etc which all seem alittle worrying!.

I did go to another club that advertises "Trial Lessons" and frankly was worried when I listened to the controls creaking and groaning as the instructor moved them before the engine was started. All that club seems to do is trial lessons and they are listed as a BGA club on the BGA website, Is this normal?

The third club ( a CAA approved school and not a BGA club) I went to is some way further south east in the midlands, but has recently gone all CAA. They say their aircraft are maintained by a CAA organisation rather than the BGA and all their instructors are CAA commercial guys. They also had a range of Pipers and Cessnas and seemed more set up for doing PPLs. ( dodging the parachutes worried me a bit!) They were more expensive but explained the cost was down to them using all CAA set up. Im also told that at the same airfield there is an old guy flying a Slingsby Venture on his own doing tuition but this third club said that they no longer use this aircraft as it doesnt have a type certficate for the engine and so cant be used for training for the initial issue or variation of a licence?

I have been reading up at length various EASA documents and have ended up even more confused!

Can a motorglider on condition be used for PPL flight training?
Can a non type certified motorglider be used for PPL flight training?
Can a BGA instructor teach on a PA28 for trial lessons?
What changes will EASA have on all the above?
If I did hours at a BGA club would it count towards an EASA PPL which Im told can only be done at an Approved Training Organisation.

Last edited by soaringsilently; 3rd Oct 2012 at 15:52.