PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Special Appeal from Richard (Taff) Hale
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 10:53
10W

PPRuNe Bashaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wee V has been progressing fantastically well, so much so that she can come home for a while. First, an update from her dad, and then an article showing the kindness of people in making it all happen.

Well folks, some good news......wee V is on her way HOME!

The doctors are delighted with her progress so far, she seems to be rewriting the rule book over in Germany; she broke the record for getting discharged from the hospital after treatment, record had stood since 1996 the Docs said! SMASHED......She's a bloody fighter for sure.

She flys home on Thursday night. The flying part was a worry last week for Connie and I; all down to the fact that she has no T Cells in her body yet. Basically this means that she has no immune system and is susceptible to any infections (with potentially lethal consequences!) and as we all know the worst place to be in this position is a commercial airliner!

So, after a 2 day tw1tter campaign to find a private flight, we now have one! Yep, Air Charter Scotland & Jet Logic, 2 Scottish based aviation companies have donated a private jet (and the pilot and crew!) to fly her direct from Stuttgart to Prestwick Airport.......2 AMAZING companies for sure.

Connie and I are absolutely delighted that's she seems to be progressing so well, still many months of treatment to go, however, we're moving in the right direction for sure. I'll keep you posted and thanks for checking in.....
From the Daily Record

Beaming cancer fight girl Vanessa Riddle: My dad's jealous he won't be on my private jet home

THE Ayrshire youngster required a private flight home due to the fact her low immune system leaves her vulnerable to infection and local firm Jet Logic stepped in.

VANESSA RIDDLE was overjoyed last night as she was preparing to fly home by private jet.

The 12-year-old cancer battler, who has been receiving potentially life-saving stem cell treatment in Germany, tweeted: “I’m coming home on my own jet. WooooHooo.”

Record readers helped raise almost £900,000 for Vanessa’s treatment for neuroblastoma – and doctors are delighted with her progress since she had a stem cell transplant about four weeks ago.

But her immune system remains low, which could make her vulnerable to infection if she travels on a busy scheduled flight.

On Friday, we reported how her dad Chris tweeted followers to request a private jet to bring Vanessa home to Loans, Ayrshire.

His message was retweeted to multi-millionaires including Simon Cowell, Sir Richard Branson and Lord Alan Sugar and offers of help soon flooded in.

Yesterday, Chris revealed that Finnish F1 racing driver Heikki Kovalainen offered the family use of his private yet.

But in the end an offer from Ayrshire’s Jet Logic and East Kilbride’s Air Charter Scotland suited their needs best.

Chris said: “I couldn’t believe the response we got within just a few hours after the article appeared in the Daily Record.

“I also received a private message from Richard Branson saying he was unable to divert a flight for Vanessa but that he wanted to make a nice donation to our fund.”

Chris thanked Jet Logic and Air Charter Scotland for their “fantastic gesture”, adding: “It just shows how everyone in Scotland has got behind Vanessa.”

Vanessa will fly from Stuttgart airport’s private terminal with her mum Connie and granny Marie Holden tomorrow evening.

Her dad will be waiting at Prestwick, where they are due to touch down shortly after 7.15pm.

Vanessa tweeted her thanks to the companies who are providing the brand-new six-seater Cessna Citation, adding: “I think dad’s well jel that he’s not getting on it.”

Chris said: “Vanessa’s been winding me up and sent me a message saying she thought I’d be jealous.

We’re doing this for medical reasons but it’s nice that she will get a bit of comfort from it too.”

Jet Logic boss Leigh Wilson, whose dad works as an air traffic controller with Vanessa’s grandad, said: “I got a call on Friday evening from my sister asking if there was anything we could do.

“I spoke with Air Charter Scotland and we worked it out to get Vanessa home.

“We were happy to help because she is such an inspiration.”
Brilliant news and the generosity of everyone who has contributed to the Appeal, as well as the specific offers from Sir Richard Branson, Heikki Kovalainen, Air Charter Scotland, and Jet Logic, makes you feel proud to be part of the human race. Well done folks !!

Daily Record Story Here