PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to use VFR guides instead of AIP?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 09:08
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pooleys has the advantage over the AIP that you can actually fit the whole book in the aircraft, thus if you have to land somewhere unplanned (as I did the other day) you've got the airfield info with you, rather than just having the charts printed out of the AIP for the planned destination and alternates.
My experience too. I don't fly to the UK all that often so I don't invest in an up-to-date UK flight guide each year, but simply print the required AIP entries for my flight. I do bring my out-of-date AFE flight guide though, and it became very handy on a recent diversion to Norwich.

After all, airfield layout will hardly change from one year to the next and if you're on a diversion, ATC will expect you to have "incomplete" information. So they will offer you all the frequencies you need, progressive taxi instructions and so forth. So all you really need is a rough idea of airfield layout, reporting points and such.

For places where I do go regularly, I hand-amend an out-of-date Bottlang based on the information from the AIP. Simply because the Bottlang pages are A5 sized and fit nicely on my kneeboard, while the AIP printouts are an unwieldy A4. (Investing in a color laser printer and using some tricks to print the AIP A4 pages onto A5 would work too.)

Last edited by BackPacker; 3rd Oct 2012 at 09:13.