PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's The Best Allied Aircraft That Didn't Go To War?
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 09:05
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
The talk of the supposedly superior German aviation industry is just that...talk. The Reichs Luftministrie (RLM) could hardly organise a Fest/coup in a Bierkeller and the concept of dispersion/shadow factories/underground facilties wasn't appreciated until c 1943, when the RAF and USAAF 'Hard Rain' made life difficult for the Luftwaffe and supporting industries. According to Speer, 'less than 2%' of aircraft production was moved into hardened or dispersed facilities and the CBO made movement of materials, aircraft and fuel problematic, to say the least. Near where I was based recently, there were 'factories' scattered in the forests and in the hills - small wooden huts, benches, vices, perhaps some electric power - producing Jumo engine components & ME 262 airframe component, by hand. QC - nul!

Yes, those pesky Nazis did develop some extremly innovative aircraft, but they were then exploited out of desperation and with immense political pressure (such as the direction to develop the ME 262 as a fighter-bomber - largely cheerfully ignored by the Luftwaffe) that they had almost no effect on the outcome of the war.

Here's an extract for a SLT 'away day' a couple of years ago on the German aircraft and weapons programme:
Key Lesson: Although emerging technologies, most clearly demonstrated by the potential of the ME 262, worried the Allied intelligence community, their operational and tactical impact had no lasting effect and the ac were no subsititute to sufficient 'conventional' platforms in the hands of well-trained and experienced crews. In sum, new technologies delivered too few, too late.
But I have to agree, the ME 262 is the sexiest wartime aircraft - I was looking over one at the Deutsche Museum iN Munich a few weeks ago.

WP