PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 01:06
Danny42C

Chugalug,

Your last Post crept in while I was mutinously re-typing my last remarks. Normally I always draft on "Notepad", but because things had got a bit late, I decided to cut the corner and do it on the Prune reply pad.

Why do I never learn ? Of course, you can guess what happened. And why does the malevolent demon that haunts this Thread always wait till it's all done and you're just putting the final polish on, before he puts the boot in ? I think PPRuNe should invoke the services of a clergyman/witch doctor/shaman (or all three) on a no-exorcism, no fee basis to settle this brute's hash.

Reverting to the points raised: our total-loss filing policy may not have been quite "comme-il-faut", but it worked successfully and was on a par with the classic description of a lie, which is: "an abomination unto the Lord but a help in a time of trouble !"

Yes the Indian railways were a wonderful work of the Raj, and as originally conceived, they could alleviate famine by transferring grain and rice stocks rapidly across country in time of need (the only alternative then being bullock-carts at 1 mph average while they are moving).

Of course they could equally move troops quickly to affected regions in times of insurrection, on Stonewall Jackson's military principle of "getting there fustest with the mostest". Hill stations would be inaccessible without them, although I suppose helicopters could fill the bill for the wealthy.

The Sahibs built their Hill Stations with stockbroker-belt Surrey in mind; as bits of Old England. I have always been rather sorry that our rule there ended so abruptly; it was a pity that some form of Dominion status could not have been devised.

I felt that we could have continued our association for another 100 years to the great benefit of both countries, but it was not to be. From this, you will have gathered that I am an unregenerate old Imperialist, and proud of it, which puts me "beyond the pale"'.

Your unfortunate experience with the broken wheel ended happily with your leaving Court without a stain on your character, but it does beg the question: who flew it last before you ? It must have had a fair old thump from someone in the recent past !

Needless to say, this is on Notepad now, so I defy the Demon to do his worst !

Goodnight,

Danny.