PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 22:57
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fatal Flight 447: Chaos in the Cockpit - 4oD - Channel 4

I found the program very interesting. One of the comments was that the pilots was startled by the events that started to take place.

But I found few things confusing, first, they did not show/explain all the error messages that the pilots first received that might have lead them to a state of confusion.

Furthermore to Airbus pilots, when did Unreliable Airspeed become a memory item? Was it trained in the past? Was it part of the QRH in past? When it was not a memory item?

Now in this documentary they played some of the CVR that was going on.

1.From this first the captain left his seat as he knew they was approaching a storm.

2.There was for me very poor CMR / SOP structure in the cockpit, with regarding handover of the aircraft, who had control, and who was doing what.

3. When captain finally returned there was no DODAR style revision of what had happen, what was going on.

From what I understand from the Airbus training now, it is now 5 degree pitch and CLB detent thrust, disconnect all Autos and Flight Directors.

Than PNF should find in the QRH power setting and and pitch angle!
Is this something that was implemented in the Airbus training after the AF447 accident?

What I am trying to understand is, was the AF crew victims of lack of training to handle this specific situation, or should they have been aware of these procedures.

Was also crew made aware during their training, that stall warning, would normally always be reliable vs other error messages, like overspeed?

From what the TV program showed, however much is correct there I don't know, but it does seem like the PF (RHS) locked/jammed the controls for to long time!
But if as they explained in the tv program, the pilot in the LHS was also doing inputs, after taking control, why did they not get message of dual inputs straight away?

I find the program lacking on a few important details at various times, maybe it is just oversight and lack of knowledge during the production, assuming the main facts are correct!

It is a curious case, but you have to question the crews lack of judgement overall, regardless of the faults with the aircraft.
And of course, it is so easy for us now to sit and see what they should have done, still 38.000 ft is a big fall!