PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain of an 70-ton jet with 400 landings, what do you think?
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 12:11
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if he tells me that we will do an Autoland because we have been 12 hours on duty with minimum rest and we are just tired
What do you do then when Autoland is not an option? There is only an NDB approach or circling approach and your company hasn't approved the RNAV for use? The landing runway is performance restricted, there is no radar control and the Tower will only offer you a basic 'land/take off'?

After a trans-atlantic flight to a small airfield in the Carribean, eg St Lucia, are you going to tell the company 'no, my skill set doesn't match up to what you want me to fly'?

Fly what is appropriate and, if your Captain/Co-Pilot isn't happy then that needs to be discussed prior to departure. As a professional pilot you MUST be able to operate the aircraft at a basic level regardless of if you are tired or think that it's an ego trip. It isn't, its a common basic skill that is demanded in return for our pay. If you can't cope with the aircraft manually or in a reversionary mode then what are you doing there?

Last edited by Wirbelsturm; 2nd Oct 2012 at 12:12.