PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's in a Name?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 11:05
HTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CM

If my memory serves me well (...I know, it's the start of a song - "Wheels on Fire") you told me in the billiards room in Akrotiri mess that your nickname was derived from the name of Lord Ware-Armitage's* manservant, Courtney* and suitably close to your real name to not confuse you when in drink (and did I remember correctly that you said your old man was a Gp Capt at the time ?). Don't worry if you can't remember, you were probably a bit dazed as a result of the fan-stopping game.

As for me, HTB is is an initialised reversion to an early sobriquet on a RAFG Tornado sqn (Harry the Barsteward); reversion caused by change of ISP with whom my Pprune name was Mister B and the name being disallowed by Pprune admin under the new ISP. Mister B arose because of an incident during an inter-sqn aircrew football game, when I made a robust tackle on a 33 Sqn pilot (JJ Burrows) which caused him to utter loudly "you dirty barsteward". Our QFI standing close by admonished this outburst with "that's Mister Barsteward to you son".

I have no idea why I attracted the "B" word - not because I was a forthright programmer with a hearing deficiency, or somewhat older than the average GR1 1st tourist with commensurate intolerance for rowdy children...

Mister B

*Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines - Terry Thomas and Eric Sykes