PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bought a type rating? Let it go uncurrent? You're screwed
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 08:23
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Currently on 330, starting my command training on 320 in the next few weeks.

And yes the new EASA rules affect everyone who's abroad no matter what they are flying or whether they changed types or not, if they haven't done a renewal in Europe in the last three years they're stuffed. It doesn't matter which of the two ratings I attempted to renew I couldn't do it now, I can't get my UK licence back without doing my full ATPL theory subjects, full basic course of IR training and now a full type rating course

It used to be a seven year allowance from the time the rating went uncurrent and they've taken that away from us with no prior warning, that's my main gripe. I was planning to do a renewal next summer to keep it all legal and now I can't.

It's not really about my personal set of predicaments though, we expats are bitching about this on another thread over on the middle east forums if you want to check it out, we're planning to take them to court over it anyway.

What I really wanted to do was give a heads up / start a discussion amongst the inhabitants of this forum who are all hell bent on buying type ratings fresh out of school, give them the heads up that a potentially very large expense of multiple sim sessions awaits them should they fail to find employment within a very short space of time after completing their rating training.