PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bought a type rating? Let it go uncurrent? You're screwed
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 07:36
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mate ... it's not about conversion from a foreign licence, it's about renewal of the thing I've already got!

I've got a UK issued ATPL with a UK issued A320 rating and about 2000 hours airbus time logged with a UK airline, that was after the several years I spent as a turboprop captain in Scotland. Then I went to the sandpit and been in continuous practice on the same aircraft for the last 5 years, during which time I have flown in and out of the UK and Europe on a regular basis. I have 5 and a bit thousand hours on the narrowbody and widebody airbus family, 700 hours in the last 12 months and I last flew the aircraft this morning ... I think it's slightly unreasonable for them to expect me to complete basic instrument rating training and type rating training again prior to renewing my UK licence don't you?

There are a number of UK / European captains, instructors and examiners with some of the best operators on earth i.e. Cathay, Emirates, Singapore, who are in the same boat - without any warning we have totally lost our UK licences and aircraft ratings, and will be chucked in the same boat as the 200 hour nubs on a full type rating training course for the very aircraft we already fly, should we wish to return to Europe.

I'm all in favour of anything that makes it difficult for people to buy speculative type ratings, but on a personal basis I'm pissed off with this