PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 Ryanair aircraft declare fuel emergency at same time
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 07:28
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that your company policy? My understanding is that mandatory 5% contingency only applies to trip fuel, not to fuel required for diversion to the planned alternate.
Beagle, am no longer with said Company so cannot comment.

Diversion fuel always used to attract contingency but maybe there has been a change which I am not aware of - anyone care to comment?

I caught a flight last tuesday from Leeds Bradford to Tenerife. We were told that "due to high winds and a low pressure cell over the uk" we had to stop at Stanstead for fuel. I have only ppl rotary experience but cannot think of any logical reason for this (other than Leeds would not upload fuel). Could it be due to the diversions in Spain, so we had to have additional fuel?
peapodpea - It would, as MikeHotel152 has alluded to, be take off weight restrictions at Leeds. Lower pressure means lower RTOW. Perversely stronger winds down the runway would help of course but knowing Leeds it was probably all crosswind!