PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bought a type rating? Let it go uncurrent? You're screwed
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 07:19
Longhitter

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
So how do non-EASA aviation authorities treat EASA type ratings? I would be very surprised if you could walk into an office in all of those and get your EASA type rating transferred onto a non-EASA license without any training or scrutiny, let alone a rating that has expired...

The idea behind having a current type rating is that it is current through compliance with the relevant rules (i.e. an annual LPC and recency requirements). Under the new rules a type rating stays on your license beyond the previous 7-year limit, but to revalidate it requires training and the rules have been sharpened. That in itself is not unreasonable.

If you bought a type rating thinking that it would take no effort or cost to keep it current: very naive.

If you went to work abroad (by choice or by necessity) one must be mindful of the possible consequences of flying under a different jurisdiction. This is one of them: experience and ratings have never been easily transferable between all aviation authorities (anyone remember the days before JAA and EASA came about?).

If you're flying a type every day in a far-away country it is reasonable to get credit for the hours on type, which is still the case although subject to scrutiny, but seven years without an LPC in any jurisdiction seems a long time to me.