PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RTO Question
Thread: RTO Question
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2012, 16:50
Spitoon

There was some work done in the UK on this topic, maybe 10 years ago. I think it followed some poor calls by ATC to stop/canx take-off clearance. The option for ATC to cancel a take-off clearance has been in the books for many years and originates from ICAO.

There was some guidance produced as a result of discussions involving ATC and flight operations people from the CAA and aircraft operators. The guidance appears to have disappeared from the CAA website (ATSIN 27 for the ATC people) but I don't know of anywhere else it has been published.

In simple terms, as I recall the guidance, it explained typical SOPs for operators of large aircraft (and, I think, a bit about smaller aircraft ops) and asked for ATC unit managers to identify typical points along the runway after which it would be a bad idea to cancel the take-off clearance. There was also some guidance about what sort of things were justifiable/sensible reasons for cancelling the clearance. There was a similar document for pilots, I think - giving a bit of background about when ATC might cancel a take-off clearance.

From what I can remember, all of the guidance recognised that when an aircraft is rolling there is probably little time to explain things in detail and so only brief info would normally be provided by the controller. It also clearly recognised that it's the commander's decision and that even if the controller calls 'STOP' the commander may decide to continue the take-off.