PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toxic fumes incapacitate Germanwings crew
Old 30th Sep 2012, 15:27
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldBristolFreighter
Surely if this left hand air supply theory is correct then it can only be a matter of time before a cabinful of S.L.F. become incapacitated, if the R.H. system is the same as the L.H.
One thing that has puzzled me in these incidents is the variability of human response to these fume incidents. One person strongly affected, another perhaps not so badly affected.

From this Wikipedia article on TCP Tricresyl phosphate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, I picked up the following paragraph:
TCP's mechanism of action is similar to other organophosphates in that it can inhibit the enzyme acetylcholinesterase, leading to a buildup of acetylcholine in the synaptic space. This can lead to hyperactivity in cholinergic neurons in the brain and at neuromuscular junctions in the peripheral nervous system resulting in apoptosis of those cell-types. This is the reason for paralysis and other irreversible neurological problems.
The word 'apoptosis' caught my eye. It means cell death.
In this case of a particular type of cell.

Just theorizing here:
Suppose you were picking up low levels of TCP exposure during you flying career? The damage to your neural system would be small but cumulative. Your body would have time to adapt.

Then add in a high level TCP exposure.
Your actual immediate physiological response to the event would be dependent on the level of exposure and your prior exposure history. (how many functioning cholinergic neurons you still have in reserve.)

Are there any non-toxic TCP alternatives available for engine oil?
Is there any way that one's level of TCP exposure damage could be measured?