PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which books for B licence self study?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2012, 14:31
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi TURIN,

I'm not sure if your irony about learning the exam answers came through! There are still people who think that this is the way to do it, and I hope they don't see your post as encouragement.

For their benefit, please be assured that learning the answers to old exam questions is a total waste of time. They might be out of date, and indeed are on some of the websites you can find them, and it's actually easier to learn the material than to learn between 10,000 and 15,000 possible questions in all the Modules. Even then, the questions have slight variations, and if you don't understand the question you will never get the right answer with a greater than 33.33% probability.

My comment about UK CAA exams has 2 reasons, neither, as it happens, my feelings about the UK CAA. Firstly, they are writing questions based on the entire syllabus, quite rightly, and without reference to any paticular set of notes. So you are more likely to find questions coming right of of the blue, which are perfectly fair but not necessarily set in a way that you understand. It's perfectly arguable, from the point of view of having top-class engineers, that this is how it should be. But I think that my suggestions would still lead to good engineers but the exam is more likely to be passable than the CAA's. Until the CAA actually does something about harmonisation, of course.

The second reason concerns Essay examinations only. From my knowledge, the CAA takes an extremely hard view, and I have heard it said that everyone needs to fail once. So again, while harmonisation is still round the corner, it is my tip to avoid the UK CAA.