PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 89 what is it really about
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2003, 08:48
emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ZORG...at the time of the dispute I had been a pilot with Ansett for more than 25 years and was very proud to be an employee of a great company. You ask "what was it about"? The Hawke Govt had decided that the "Two Airline Policy" had to go and competition was the go. Abeles and Murdoch did not want to compete with a "VB style" airline so cheaper aircrew costs were one of many options considered essential. A short time previosly a Mr Icahn had been successful in sacking the Continental Airlines pilots and telling them that they could reapply for their jobs the following week on a "different " contract. So that was to be the go. Basically they succeeded but it was expected to be over in 2 weeks but not so. Then the media started to smell an agenda and the rests history...Do your own research,stick to known facts.I was amazed at the amount of "psychological warfare" involved. If reading the papers of the time ,do so with regard to the fact that Murdoch owned about 90% of the media. Suggest you visit Alex Patersons website.."Pilots perspective of the 1989 australian pilots dispute"..and in particular App 1..Minutes of meeting in Hawkes office on 15 Aug 1989 (app8 days before the dispute started)...Remember the old saying...those that forget the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them...particularly when it comes to the ACTU...I wish you well.