PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you want to be a pilot!
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2012, 09:08
blueplume

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doctors use their skills daily.
Pilots use their skills daily.
Doctors are not reexamined on a regular basis.
Pilots are.

There is one thing that is seemingly ignored by almost everyone in this discussion: the fact that Aviation is not what it was until about 30 years ago. It will never be the same again.

There was a time when flying was for the few. Most pilots came through the military, they learned to fly during the war(s). They were Officers and Gentlemen. The rest were wealthy enough to pay for civilian training. They still had to pay their dues but if they made it they were well regarded.

None of them would ever have considered paying to work, expecting to be kicked out when they were no longer "useful" (able to pay). They entered airlines to have careers which they were allowed to have because there was no other business model. There was a relatively small customer base, therefore a small number of airlines which could all survive without stepping on each other's toes.

There was only one sort of passenger: of a certain class, social standing and wealth. Relatively few people could afford to fly. Everybody else took the boat.

This is why Pilots were highly regarded and respected. They were skilled. Cabin Crew (female) were chosen for their looks and education. They were expected to meet a suitable husband amongst their passengers (see above).

The situation today is very different. Everybody can now buy a cheap ticket to some crap holiday destination with too much luggage and too much exposed, unsightly flesh. The airlines cash in on this business model, as they would be expected to do as businesses.

They are forced to find as many pilots as possible as quickly as possible, failing that as cheaply as possible.

I have seen some of the best pilots and some of the worst in small commuter airlines. I am willing to bet that it is the same in bigger airlines.

Not that glamour is the most important thing but, nevertheless, it has gone. The travelling public cares only for the ticket price. "I've got rights, me". Discovery Channel makes it easy for everyone to know what the pilots "should of done, he screwed it up, innit?" "Airplanes are so easy to fly, there's no skill required. Maybe a bit of FlightSim, that's all."

Some of you will be upset and will tell me that I can't say these things. I can because this is my point of view. We as humans have changed this industry and we have changed it for the worse. It will not return to what it was. This is why all of us need to enter into this with open eyes and a bit of understanding for why it is how it is.

No point in bleating about it. It has become a fairly ****ty, cut-throat business where many will be fleeced and discarded. It could be you, get used to it. Question things more and don't be afraid to tell people to get lost with their fancy ideas and promises if you don't agree with them.