PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2012, 15:43
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Auto trim

Sorry, Doze, but I gotta go with the 'bird on this one.

Unless the new pilot learns in a FBW system that trims to relieve pressure on the stick for an AoA, then some of we dinosaurs have a point.

The 'bus does not seem to care what the AoA is until reaching some of the AoA "protections". It simply reduces pressure on the stick so's the pilot can gradually release pressure/displacement to achieve one steeenkeeng gee!( sorry, but my time was pressure and our stick only moved an eighth of an inch). You can't trim for an AoA using the 'bus FBW system in Normal or a few reversion modes. The jet is basically speed/AoA neutral in most cases. Our primitive system allowed us to trim for a gee unless gear was down, then it was biased to achieve some semblance of speed/AoA stability. A natural feel with gear down, but not as crisp as most of us were used to or wanted. The system basically lied to the gee command function using our AoA probes.

My point, and that of others, is that this mechanization is not "natural" for many. Our cadre quickly found this out when gear up, but we were yanking and banking a lot and it didn't matter.

That's my story, and I am stickin' to it.