PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulfstream Type Rating / By-the-day flying jobs
Old 29th Sep 2012, 00:05
Airhogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gulfstream Type Rating / By-the-day flying jobs

I flew 1500 hrs in Dash 8's for Mesa Airlines in the US in the 90's, was about to upgrade to captain when I got a call from Emery Worldwide to fly the DC8 and 10. Never got typed in any of these as the company went t.u. just before 911.. I had young teenagers at home, so frustrated, I decided to hang it up and go back to construction and real estate. I started a renewable fuel technology company which I am still involved in today. My kids are now graduating college, my company will soon be purchased by venture capitalists and I miss the flight deck. I can still fly another 8 years assuming I can get hired somewhere. I haven't flown for 10 years. To get current, I thought about getting typed in the Dash 8, given the time I have already, but a friend (747 captain) says I'm probably too old, suggests instead getting typed in a G-IV or V and try flying by-the-day jobs.
Anybody know who has the best deal on Gulfstream initial, types, recommended model to get qual'd in and / or knowledge of by-the-day flying?
Many thanks.