PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Siemens boycotts Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2012, 16:25
Crazy Voyager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the 'offending' sentence :

Quote:
Siemens koncernledning har fattat beslutet sedan Ryanair drabbats av ett antal tillbud och incidenter den senaste tiden och är en signal till hela flygbranschen.
My knowledge of Swedish is very basic but it is a Germanic based language and I speak German. With a bit of help from Google, it seems that 'tillbud' means incident, and the word for 'accident' (olycka) does not appear. So somewhere the original report appears to have lost something in översättning.

Any Swedish speakers around before I pop next door to ask the Swedish au pair!
"Tillbud" and "incident" (singular form of "incidenter" used above, which is the same as incidents) are nuances of the same thing. An "incident" (spelling is the same in English and Swedish) is the same thing, how ever a "Tillbud" is something that could have developed into an incident, but isn't as severe. In Swedish we often use "tillbud" as you would use "incident" (as something that could have lead to an accident).

Literally translated it means "to"-"bid". Till being "to" and bud being "bid". But the word "bud" can be interpeted not only as a bid at an auction but also something taking place. Hence "something that was (potentially) going to happen".

I'm not sure if this made you any wiser but it was worth a try I guess