PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -3
Thread: MANSTON -3
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2012, 13:41
Phileas Fogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I last resided in UK my local airport, some mere 2 to 3 miles down the road, was CWL where KLM have the monopoly on international business travel in their AMS/CWL/AMS service.

Despite being a Londoner by birth I will avoid travelling thru LHR with a vengeance, I hate travelling thru the place, and over recent years I have used BHX extensively and, since relocating back to S. Wales, CWL once or twice.

In 2010 I travelled to/from Philippines, KLM had a reasonable fare from/to CWL, more expensive than fares with other carriers from LHR/LGW but not so much more expensive taking in to consideration the buggeration factor of National Express etc, thus I travelled from/to my doorstep airport of CWL.

Yet last year, when travelling to Philippines, KLM fares were so damn expensive I couldn't justify the expenditure and for some £200 cheaper CX got my business out of, my hated, LHR and I got to fly 4 engines long haul and with a mere 1hr connection thru HKG.

The point I am making is that just because KLM may, and I say "may", come and frequent MSE don't think for one minute that most of Kent, East Sussex, wherever are going to come rushing to travel the world from a KLM monopolised MSE, like me they're going to be shopping around for price and schedule and many of them will continue trotting across to LHR, LGW etc. and it is likely, as with KLM's LPL service, that any KLM MSE service will fail.