PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF - loss of seperation
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2012, 13:00
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hetfield
Jeez, what is wrong with AF?
Oh, not much. They have dropped a widebody into Atlantic a few years ago so their effups receive quite a bit more scrutiny than other companies'.

To make it clear:

Yes, they have problems.

Yes, it is cultural.

No, it is not "French thing" or limited to AF. Malaise of incompetence is quite widespread throughout the world, even the first one.

Originally Posted by dormant dog
Someone "cleaned up" the flight plan.
That's where I'd put my money also. Lot of water has passed underneath the Charles bridge since I've last overflown it but it seems LKPR has adopted German-style transition; stay on downwind track until vectored into base. When faced with such a transition it is under no circumstances allowed to erase (VECTOR) from FMS flight plan yet I've come across some effohs who would do that so they get more precise ToD and VNAV path calculations, also more accurate ETA for their PA. They would usually get away with it as seldom is the traffic so heavy to warrant proceeding beyond the last downwind waypoint, call to turn base comes much earlier.

One thing I haven't seen yet is the F/O who would perform such a feat second time when rostered with me.

Originally Posted by William A Bong
It is a culture thing. We have just covered this in our recurrent CRM. The actual total hull losses since 1946 is 85
Does it include wet leased TAME 727 hitting the mountain near Bogota or Air Littoral Brasilia hitting the trees short of runway in Bordeaux?

Originally Posted by William A Bong
That far exceedes any other first world airline.
Their experience in flying Ju-52 over North Africa just after WW2 also far exceeds that of any other first world airline. They have lost five of them in just four months of 1947.

Originally Posted by Case One
The cause of the '99 B747 Madras mishap did not involve aircrew error to my knowledge and is therefore irrelevant.
Time for update:
Originally Posted by Aviation safety network
The flight crew concluded that all gear were down and locked despite a red GEAR light on the forward instrument panel. The crew had failed to recognize that the green GEAR DOWN light for the nose gear was not illuminated and assumed that the red GEAR light on the forward instrument panel was a false indication. The gear was recycled, but an alternate extension was not attempted.