PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A smashing time...
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2012, 07:27
Foxcotte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We seem to be able to do just about anything here....

Recently one company was plagued by a really dodgy batch of left-hand (only) tyres on their aircraft. These left-hand tyres were particularly lethal as they kept on deflating/coming off rim/splitting just before the main runway turn-off. I believe a report was made to the manufacturer that they needed to look into the production quality of their left-hand tyres. Seems that the problem has sorted itself out recently as left-hand tyres are holding up well at the moment.

But maybe Bonanzas have a similar weakness on both sides? Or maybe there is a flaw in the gear that won't hold the weight of the aircraft up sufficiently at a specific touch down speed? Or maybe there was too much radio traffic to hear the horn? Or maybe there's a resonance in the headphones that obscures the warning horn?

Whatever the cause - if we ever get to hear of it (which I doubt) - I am certain that it will be an appropriately complex cause well-beyond the pilot's fault. At least we got to hear about the tyre issue. And there's some dodgy winds around Kili I believe but we won't go into the special techniques required to do a midnight landing (or touch&go) at an unmanned/unlit airfield.