PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2012, 07:08
Ainippe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SASless in fact Fison Airwork was in Owerri with SHELL in 1956 with series 1 whirlwinds and Hiller 12B's . Douglad Bader was the Shell aviation adviser at the time.

EKET used to be a great place when the accomodation was next to the runway at the airstrip, we ran it quite efficiently and it was always good food/beer and accomodation only because we did it ourselves as I am sure you will remember We even built our own pool and ran it! Because we made an effort the company supplied and paid for a lot of extras for us.

It was an example of what could be done if you put the time and effort into it - however not everyone in Nigeria had the same quality of life and not due to their idleness.
As is the way of the world people slowly expected the company to do it all for them and the standards went down until it was just attendance.

I have SOME fond memories of a total of 11 years in Nigeria but not many and I do not regret leaving when I did. Anyone who spends time out there now has my respect for putting up with what you do.