PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Best Modular Flight Training School
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2012, 00:38
jamesleaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Halfcab,

In response to your question; No not at all. Before I intended to complete my 0-fATPL via Integrated, which I'm in the process of doing now, I actually completed around 12 hours of Private Pilot License Flying at Aviation Southwest based at Exeter. For the short period of time I was there for, they seemed very professional, although slightly Expensive. Overall though I had no complaints.

I can't comment on any of the other FTO's based at Exeter as I personally haven't dealt with them, although I haven't heard anything negative about any of them.

Exeter is a lovely city, I've lived and worked, as Cabin Crew for Flybe for a matter of fact out of the city for a while. It's a relatively quiet city I suppose compared to the likes of Bristol, Manchester, purely due to the small size, but it still has very much to offer in terms of pubs, restaurants, shops...etc.

After living anywhere for most of your life, as many can relate too, the last thing I want to do is spend another 2 years here doing my Pilot Training. Besides Exeter not offering an Integrated course, I want to start my potential career off by completing my training elsewhere. This is purely a matter of choice and in no way related to the FTO's at Exeter.

There is certainly no disadvantage to completing your commercial training outside the UK. As long as the training provided meets EASA/JAR certification then it makes no difference at all.
One of the other reasons I have decided to go outside the UK is because of the better weather conditions. If you go to the likes of Poland, Germany then this isn't relevant as the climate is much the same, however if you attend a FTO in Greece or Spain there is no doubt you will complete your desired license in a much shorter space of time.

I got accepted in CTC Wings Cadet Course; However after talking to some guys who completed their training there, they are still in the holding pool for a 'Flexi-crew contract' after almost a year of waiting, bare in mind they've spent an extra £30,000 for this privileged. I have chosen to take a calculated risk and not enroll with CTC, but to go through a FTO providing exactly the same airline orientated Integrated ATPL training, and come out the other end with exactly the same Licenses, plus an extra £30,000 in my pocket for a Type Rating when required.
The same goes for when you compare UK vs Europe for training, you will gain the same licenses, just ensure you chose an FTO who provide quality training. Don't necessarily chose the cheapest.