PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 Ryanair aircraft declare fuel emergency at same time
Old 27th Sep 2012, 16:22
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
By the way, unlike RAT 5 and God knows how many sciolists out there, I have actually flown LAN Chile schedules! When I flew for Fred Laker about three thousand years ago, we had a brand new DC-10-30 (G-BGXF) painted in LAN Chile colours (and very nice it looked - until later).

We flew Santiago-Miami-JFK and Santiago-Rio-Madrid-Orly-Frankfurt.

I have three great memories:

1. The Chileans were amongst the nicest people I have ever met.

2. The cabin staff used to change at Madrid. I have this undying memory of two of the male cabin staff going all the way from Madrid to Turin by rail on their days off to buy Fiat car spares which went in the belly and were to be sold in Chile for a vast profit.

3. As already mentioned, 'XF had been painted in LAN Chile colours. It turned out that Fred Laker had been persuaded by one of the finishing companies to try a new type of paint that would eventually be water-soluble.

I was taxiing out at JFK one night in a Laker DC-10 when 'XF landed from Miami. It had been through a thunderstorm somewhere near Miami and half of the LAN Chile paint had come off! It really did not look good. A bit like a Rembrandt - best viewed from a distance.

The JFK Ground Controller asked me what airline that could possibly be?

"I wish I knew" said I.

Sorry RAT 5 to steal your thunder; back to you.