PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hi, I wanna become a helicopter pilot...
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2012, 15:51
DonQuixote23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again, thanks for your comments and I appreciate your honesty Sir Korsky.

There is no doubt I am very naive. I'm naive when I think that training will be mainly a load of fun, and that afterwards landing a rather well paid job with good condition will be fairly easy. I'm aware of this. But I don't confuse "easy" with "it won't take a big effort". I just believe that it will work out alright. I've had this approach before and it's been going rather well so far. And thinking that it won't anymore is not going to make me happy. Such a thought would nail me to my desk where I sit.
I am determined to make this work. Sad as it may be, I cannot get myself to appreciate what I have, because right now the thought of staying in the IT industry for the rest of my life makes me want to puke. And to be honest I've never really enjoyed either the many years of studying or the work very much. I've dug in and tried to do my best and I'm happy with what I've accomplished, but I'm not happy. I'm getting close to the age where a big change will be very difficult (32) and for the first time I have found something that I passionately want to do. (Not counting fighter pilot dreams after watching Top Gun for the first time, and not counting the years when I thought I could, and tried, to become a professional motorcycle racer. Now THAT was difficult and any chance of success very slim!

So many people I have talked to say "ohhh, I would want to do that too, but.. but.. but.." or "I wish I did that when I had the chance but... but... but.." and they give all the rational reasons and obstacles in the world. They may be right, but I'll try to prove them wrong
However, it should also be said that it is not a complete banzai move. I'll keep my apartment and should this not work out I think I would be welcome back to my old job (probably not the same position though, but still) . And if that happens I'm sure I will appreciate the good things with the IT jobs much more than I do now.