PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top of the World: photos from Nepal
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2012, 02:29
Vertical Freedom

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Angel Top of the World

Good morning Nigel & Belly Tank

Re my Auto following engine failure....Well I can say this much; the sight picture on the normal Auto numbers was putting me straight into the Karnali river which at that time of year (monsoon) is a raging torrent that would have been unsurvivable.

When I went to 100kts & bottom of the Nr green; the picture looked better but I was still going in the drink then hmmmm (this may sound crazy to some people) I then broke all the rules; common sense, airmanship, experience, the RFM limitations..... I believe I was guided by the hand of God & just kept pulling up on the lever till I could see I was gonna make it. Vibration was severe. During the glide; common sense cut in for a moment & I lowered the lever wanting to get Nr back into the green but I lost the sight picture to my elected landing zone, so, without thought or will, the lever went back to where God wanted it to be & was the ONLY position I believe where we were gonna make it......& we did. 5 x PAX all survived without a scratch & 1 x Pilot scarred for life but still flying

Happy Landings ALWAYS

VF

Last edited by Vertical Freedom; 27th Sep 2012 at 05:28.