PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 321 close to stall
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2012, 21:00
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
Get that microchip off of your shoulder, boy.
Seriously, why so combative? Have I somehow been discourteous to you in a way of which I am currently unaware? Sparring with CONF iture and Lyman/bearfoil, I will occasionally unleash a little sarcasm in jest because otherwise the conversation would be downright depressing - but I don't think I've deliberately said anything to you that could be considered a slight...

Regarding your post #111, where you and I diverge is that you seem to consider the existence of the technology itself to be the reason for the apparent decline in handflying and problem-solving skills. The manufacturers have little say in how their customers apply that technology to training - all they can provide is guidance on how their product is operated. The technology in and of itself is nothing more than a tool. It was not intended to sideline or replace the human pilot, it was intended to assist them.

If the airlines have decided to use technological advances as an excuse to cut back on training costs to the extent that safety has been affected, then the onus is on them to correct it. If the industry wants to continue to expand to the point where automation is mandatory in certain types of airspace, then they must increase hands-on training for when the fit hits the shan to make up for it. If a plurality of pilots feel that the technology has been misused by the airlines in such a fashion, then they should band together and do something about it instead of railing against what is, at the end of the day, nothing more than an inanimate object.