PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to change industry? - Leaving aviation.
Old 26th Sep 2012, 20:50
lovegroove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to change industry? - Leaving aviation.

I think that it might be about time for me to change industry and am looking for ideas of other industries where I can put my skills to use.

I'm ex-RAF and have been out for nearly 6 years and contracting since. Having completed all of my modules for B2 over 2 years ago, I just haven't been able to get my foot in the door to get civil aircraft experience and seem to be stuck in a vicious circle of not being able to get the experience because I don't already have it. I spoke to the CAA yesterday to clarify the situation and was told that working for a part-145 company didn't classify as a civil aircraft environment and the aircraft have to be used for fee paying passengers.

I did just get offered a job in Prestwick with PAM and although I was willing to take the pay cut and live away from my family for a year, the terms and conditions of the contract were just so bad that I couldn't possibly sign it.

So now I'm back to square one of looking for civilian aircraft experience again and there just doesn't seem to be much around at the moment and I don't have the contacts to get in on a winter program or something like that.

This brings me to the point of this post. What other industries take on guys from aviation and pay similar wages and also provide career development opportunities?

I know quite a few guys have moved to trains and offshore, but neither of those 2, especially offshore, appeal to me.

What about staying in aviation and trying to move into design? Is it possible without a degree?

I've just turned 33 and am not getting any younger and I feel that if I'm going to make the switch to another industry the it's now or never.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

LG