PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How likely is a SAFA check?
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2012, 18:06
mushroom69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FCL.050 Recording of flight time
The pilot shall keep a reliable record of the details of all flights flown in a form and manner established by the competent authority.

AMC1 FCL.050 is more specific in how this should be done. The conclusion is: Yes, you may use an electronic log in an EASA compliant format, however, it only becomes an official document when printed and signed!

NOW PRINTED AND SIGNED, BUT CERTAINLY NOT CARRIED WITH ME.

FCL.045 Obligation to carry and present documents
(a) A valid licence and a valid medical certificate shall always be carried by the pilot when exercising the privileges of the licence.
(b) The pilot shall also carry a personal identification document containing his/her photo.
(c) A pilot or a student pilot shall without undue delay present his/her flight time record for inspection upon request by an authorised representative of a competent authority.

WITHOUT UNDO DELAY DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU HAVE TO CARRY YOUR LOGBOOK. WHEN REQUESTED, A COPY CAN BE SENT TO THE REQUESTING AUTHORITY. CARRYING THE LOG WOULD NOT BE A GOOD IDEA. IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT OR INCIDENT, THE LOG COULD BE DAMAGED/LOST AND THEN THE RECORD IS OF NO USE TO ANYONE...AS IT IS THEN LOST.

I can assure you that the inspectors interpretation of "without undue delay" means before he's leaving the aircraft!

WELL I GUESS I WILL HAVE AN INTERESTING TIME WHEN NEXT IN SWITZERLAND. AFTER 3 RAMP CHECKS, NONE OF THE INSPECTORS HAVE REQUESTED A LOGBOOK IN ANY FORM.

It is advisable to carry a print out with you (i.e to proof recency!).

HAPPILY I AM IN THE SAME AIRCRAFT, SO I CAN JUST SHOW THEM THE TECH LOG.....

@mushroom 69: I don't know about other countries, but on Swiss licences only hand entries of Swiss examiners and only for the purpose of revalidation are accepted!

I HAVE HEARD THAT IS THE SAME ISSUE FOR GERMANS. IT IS A RECURRING THEME WHEN WE LEAVE THE SIM AT FSI OR BOMBARDIER. THE EXAMINERS ARE ABLE TO SIGN MY CERTIFICATE (SWEDISH) THE DANISH ONES AND THE UK ONES, BUT NOT THE GERMAN ONES......THEY ALWAYS HAVE TO SEND THEIR PAPERWORK TO THE LBA AND THEN RECEIVE A NEW CERTIFICATE.

MINE IS ISSUED FOR 5 YEARS AND THE RATINGS ARE EXTENDED ON THE BACK. MAKES SENSE TO ME, BUT I SUPPOSE SOME CAA'S STILL WANT MORE CONTROL. JAA, EASA.......SUPPOSED TO BE MAKING THINGS STANDARDISED TO A GREATER DEGREE....NOT REALLY WORKING THAT WAY.

BY THE WAY, I DON' T USUALLY WRITE IN LARGE LETTERS, BUT TO DIFFERENTIATE FROM THE ORIGINAL....NOT SHOUTING.
Cheers,
g5tom

THANKS FOR THE EASA INPUT.....HAVE PRINTED IT ALL OUT, AND PUT IT IN A BINDER!