PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WA FSU's
Thread: WA FSU's
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2012, 04:41
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, Broome had a FSU tho only a small AFIZ, a bit like Geraldton at the time. Dixy was there for a period ex PD & PH. He was the OIC when it was closed. Operationg hours were limited with a one man show, mostly just there for the RPT and the Met reports in the morning.

The twin Pin was there thru 69-71 when I was in DB. It was in the BHP hangar down the end which was also used by Dick Roberton (Aerial Enterprises) It never left the hangar when I was there, but later turned up in Bankstown a few years later.

I think it was Peter Brook that was the RFDS pilot at the time, and then Jan Ende came along and he then went to the new base at WM and married one of the nurses. Peter was out of flying for some time then returned to the RFDS in Qld. Retired from active flying now I believe.

There were lots of Aeradio stations prior to the 60's and many closed as the equipment got better. In WA, Albany, Forrest & Halls Creek were there until the mid or late 60's. Elsewhere we had Flinders Island, King Island, Oodnadatta, Daly Waters, Cloncurry, Normanton, Bundaberg & Mt Gambier.

Who from the old FS School in Henty House remembers Sid Hulse, Gentle Harry and Don Brown???

yes those were the days......... and it did provide a "service"....!