PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2012, 00:17
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent summation peuce, especially,
I think the conclusion that the buck stops with the PIC, fullstop ...although technically correct, is, in fact, too simplistic an assessment.
The audit report tells of the corporate shortcomings. As KingAirB350 so eloquently put it
"jointly and severally liable"
However, Swiss cheese or no Swiss cheese, as the PIC, Dominic had the responsibility to ensure that final hole didn't line up.

I said it before, I'll say it again. The final call, the ultimate responsibility, is with the PIC
The PIC is merely the final enabler. He pulls the trigger of a weapon that has been primed, loaded and cocked by others. And we sit here and sanctimoniously expect him to be the guardian of everyone else's mistakes.
I think that the pilot was partially to blame for not filling the tanks to the brim
There was information published (forget where) that had the tanks been full the aircraft would have been stuck at a lower altitude that would have reduced the range even further.

I commented earlier about the lack of detail in the ATSB report re fuel analysis. I would have expected something along the lines of the report below (Avanti force landing on the ice cap due to fuel depletion). The fuel analysis is forensic, as is the ATC functions.

http://havarikommissionen.instant.co...0_2011_33.ashx