PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up - Channel 5 Series : Heroes of the Sky
Old 25th Sep 2012, 20:15
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
They reckoned one of the advantages Bader had in combat was the fact he had lost his legs, rather like a modern G suit he was able to withstand greater G levels in combat than his adversaries as he had no pooling of blood issues in his lower extremities, hence he could withstand turns that would have others blacking out.
Just watched the repeat tonight and some bloke (didn't catch his name) who had written a book on the Battle of Britain helpfully explained that blackouts were caused by high negative G in tight turns

Also did I hear Douglas Bader in one of the dramatised bits talking about 'planes'? Oh and they didn't wear queen's crown anodised badges in 1940.

Oh dear, I could go on but I'm starting to sound like a bit of an anorak here, but really, it was a pretty poor effort.

Edited to add, apart of course from the contributions from the pilots who were around at the time, including Bader's wingman - those were excellent

Last edited by Tankertrashnav; 25th Sep 2012 at 20:17.