PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class 1 and laser surgery
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2003, 14:17
Footsie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had LASIK in April 2001 done at Ultralase in Chester.

The results have been superb - 6/5 vision and no haze, halos or any other side effects. The op is pain free if a little uncomfortable. I had haze for a couple of days but when that cleared my vision was better than I'd ever remembered it, much better than glasses and better than contacts. But the best bit is just being able to muck around with the kids, go swimming, play sports, wear cheap sunglasses etc. It's amazing how quickly you take it for granted.

I went for my Class 1 last Thursday 9 Jan, and received my certificate today. No endorsements - just a clean certificate! I was -3.75 when I had LASIK in each eye.

I did struggle with the peripheral contrast test - the grey 'C' characters on a grey background, but whether this is due to LASIK I don't know. Anyway the optometrist was happy enough to give me a pass.

For me, having LASIK was the best thing I've ever spent money on, although I'm just about to pay for a PPL so may revise that comment in a few months.

All of that said, if I'd been a commercial pilot back in April 2001 there's no way I'd have taken the risk, not if my whole livelihood depended on my eyes.