PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Libyan mission racked up $11M in hotel bills
Old 25th Sep 2012, 14:16
Widger

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Well,

I had a very nice time staying at this Hotel 4-star hotel in Vicenza: Hotel Villa Michelangelo Colli Berici Vicenza
courtesy of the RAF, some years ago when there was a flap on in the Balkans.

One could say, 'it was a little over the top' and 'the Holiday Inn would have sufficed'! Things have changed a little since then (JPA and Hogg Robinson) and most crabs are now used to living in tents in various places or on a bunk in a boat anyway. As others have stated, those days are gone and they would just not get away with that sort of extravagance these days, which came about because of 'rates' and Squadron staff being able to book wherever they wanted and widespread abuse of the type that Engines talks of. (No point denying it!). The rates for this place were based on taking every meal in the place even though there was a cheap Pizzaria down the road. For some strange reason, the CAOC at 5ATAF was very popular for visits and overnight stops.

It is human nature that if the rules allow it, people will adopt the maximum. If you give someone a £26 allowance for meals, they will spend it, If you give them a daily rate, they will have a burger and keep the money!

For me, I was personnaly very grateful, having lived in a bunk on a boat for some years to be given a taste of the 'RAF method' if even only for a short time but, it is an example of why the MOD is in such the financial state it is today. I was for a time, a Millionaire (days of the Lira).

As an aside, if you are ever in that part of Italy, I thoroughly recommend the place. Vicenza is so much less touristy than Verona and within easy reach of Venice. Now if I get saving on my civvy salary, I may one day be able to take Mrs W there as well.