PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military experience worthless?
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2012, 10:50
Case One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your service flying experience counts for something, but networking and luck count for more.

If you have some time available and you have not studied any economics may I recommend:

"An Inquiry Into The Nature And Causes Of The Wealth Of Nations" by Adam Smith, first published in 1776 (no I'm not joking). As you plan to get into the commercial sphere this will explain the basics of how the world really works (ground schools tend to be deficient in this area). It can be a little heavy and dull in places, but it's worth it.

Book I, chapter X, part I succinctly predicts and explains the future of this line of work:

"In the advanced state of society, therefore, they are all very poor people who follow as a trade, what other people pursue as a pastime".

Or as I put it, too many pilots confuse their job with their hobby. It doesn't matter if you are not one of them, the significant number who do effectively control the level of remuneration. The mechanics of this are as true today as they were in the 18th century. Future regulation or union activity may temporarily slow this down, but the natural trend will remain.

Bearing this in mind, as distasteful as it now appears, may I suggest that you seriously consider "Canary Wharf".

And FFS DO NOT WORK FOR FREE. It's called work for a reason.

Best of luck.